dylatess, ATTORNEY
Experience:  37 plus years of SSD practice

In January 1989 at the age of 35, I started working for the

Customer Question

In January 1989 at the age of 35, I started working for the City of Akron and started paying into PERS instead of Social Security. Last year on May first I turned 62. Over the years people under PERS have chosen to collect Social Security while still working under PERS. Some collecting at 62, others waiting until 65 or 66.
At the beginning of last year, I contacted Social Security and explained that I wanted to start collecting after my 62nd birthday, and that I would still be working under PERS for another 3 years or so.
I was told that was not a problem, and to go online 3 months before my birthday and fill out the forms.
I filled them out when the time came. Social Security sent approval letters, and started sending benefits to my bank account in June.
About a month ago, I received a letter from them saying I had to pay back the $5,500 that I received from June to December because I worked last year. I don't understand why they would let this go through after I explained it to them, and let it be known on the online forms. I have never heard of this happening to anyone else. Is there something I can do, or has everyone else just been lucky? Also, am I going to have to pay back everything I made this year?
Thank you,
George Halay, Jr
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  LawTalk replied 1 month ago.

Good afternoon George,

I'm Doug, and I'm very sorry to hear of your situation. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

The issue you have been confronted with is very complex. This seems like a very crucial matter for you, and your questions and issues suggest that an in-depth conversation would definitely be best to suit your needs. If you are interested, for a very nominal charge I can offer you a personal phone conference during which there is no limitation on the number of questions you can ask of me, as opposed to continuing in this question and answer thread which is searchable and viewable by the public.

Let me know if you don't want a call and I will be happy continue here with an answer for you.

Thanks in advance,