LawTalk, Attorney
Experience:  I have 30 years of legal and litigation experience, including representing clients before the U.S. Social Security Administration.
15277592

I worked in the USA (California) in 1981 through 1983 for

Customer Question

I worked in the USA (California) in 1981 through 1983 for Bank of America. I have since worked in Hong Kong, United Kingdom and Canada ( latter for 20 + years). I spoke with someone of the US Government last year who advised me that, being born in 1950, I could apply for pension benefits in the latter part of 2017. I do have a social security number, my wife does not, she was my wife before we moved to the USA and still is. Last year I was advised that she could now apply for a SS number to claim her share of SS pension benefits. The telephone number I called last year is disconnected (877 480 493). What to do next?
Category: Social Security
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I am looking for guidance on how to apply for my own and my spouse's SS pension benefits, including application for HER SS number.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
FYI I reside in Canada
Expert:  LawTalk replied 6 months ago.

Good afternoon Bernard,

I'm Doug, and I'm very sorry to hear of your situation. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

Because you reside in Canada, all requests for social security benefits and for social security cards needs to be made to specific social security offices located in the US and based on your postal address in Canada. Here is a link to the different offices for Canada that you will need to contact. The phone numbers and addresses for these offices are up to date: https://www.ssa.gov/foreign/canada.htm

You may reply back to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.

I hope that I have been able to fully answer your question. As I am not an employee of JustAnswer, please be so kind as to rate my service to you. That is the only way I am compensated for assisting you. Thank you in advance.

I wish you and yours the best in 2016,

Doug

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Doug, I looked at the chart and per the coding reference the number I should call is 1-***-***-****. That is indeed the number I called earlier this morning ( and last year ). I spoke with a lady who seemed to be selling medic alerts and she told me the original number was disconnected. She gave me 1-800-555 1212 as the correct number, which did not work either.
Expert:  LawTalk replied 6 months ago.

Good afternoon Bernard,

I'm sorry that happened.

The number she gave you is simply is merely directory assistance.

I just called(###) ###-####myself and it does go to the Niagara Falls social security office. I don't know what to tell you. While the office is not open right now because of limited hours on Wednesday, I can assure you that this IS the correct number and it is working.

Try again and if you still are having a problem, try contacting the sister office in Ogdensburg NY at 1-***-***-****.

Please remember to rate my service to you so that I can be compensated for helping you. Thank you in advance.

I wish you and yours the best in 2016,

Doug

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Doug, I do not want to be too harsh. This is the first and probably last time I use this "Just Answer" service. I interpret your replies as effectively telling me to "keep doing what you have been doing" in terms of calling a number in the US that I already called before. No other guidance with respect to the process and steps to take. Am I seeing that correctly?
Expert:  LawTalk replied 6 months ago.

I merely said try the number again----to ensure that you did not mis-dial the number. I also gave you the number for the sister office and they may have an alternate number for you to call.

The fact that when I call the number it is the social security office suggests that there is something on your end that is not working properly. Are you using a phone that will not access phone numbers across the US border?

Expert:  LawTalk replied 6 months ago.

There is no process, or steps, to take in reaching the social security office. You either can get them by phone or you cannot.

What specific guidance are you looking for?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I thought I had that already formulated. I do not need guidance in making a phone call, I expected guidance in the application process for my pension benefits and those of my wife (who as described) at this time does not have a Social Security number. Apparently that question was not formulated clearly enough for you to appreciate that I was looking for more than a telephone number. If a telephone number is ***** I needed, I think that the original fee quoted ( albeit on a satisfaction guaranteed basis) would have been lower. Does that make sense?
Anyhow I meanwhile did get a call from the Social Security Office leaving me a call back number which was NOT on your list, and is not in Niagara Falls either, but a number I called as well last year, but earlier today could not get live response.
Expert:  LawTalk replied 6 months ago.

I am unable to further assist you in this matter, and I am going to opt out of your question and open this up for other professionals.

Your question is being placed back in the question list for other professionals to see, and to respond to. You do not have to stay online for the question to be active. Should another professional pick it up, you should be alerted by email unless you actively disable this feature.

There is no need for you to reply at this time as this may "lock" your question back to me, thus inadvertently delaying other professionals' access to it.

I apologize for any inconvenience and wish you well in your future.

Doug