keeperumiami, Senior Tax Expert & Financial Planner
Experience:  Sr Tax Expert/Financial PlannerCPA/PFS (retired)Over forty years of advising individuals & small businesses

How does a spouse collect SS after spouce dies?

Customer Question

how does a spouse collect SS after spouce dies?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  keeperumiami replied 1 month ago.

Hello, my name is***** goal is to give you a complete & accurate answer. I am working on your request now & I will respond as soon as possible.

First of all my condolences on the loss of your husband.

You should be eligible for Social Security benefits based upon his earnings record.

How old are you and how old was your husband when he died?

Expert:  emc011075 replied 1 month ago.

Steve, here's the respond:

I see your response was posted to a new question & one of the other experts referred it to me.

Basically, unless you are disabled, the earliest that you may receive Widow's benefits under your husband's Social Security earnings record is age 60.

Now if you have any minor children, that haven't graduated from High School for example, they would be entitled to Social Security benefits on your husband's earnings record until age 18, with a couple of minor exceptions if they haven't finished high school.

So, at this point, with your birthday being 2/10/58, on 2/10/16 you attained age 58, so unless you are disabled under the Social Security system, you would not yet be eligible to collect Social Security benefits for yourself.

Let me know if your situation is different that I've indicated or if you need me to clarify anything for you.

Just checking in....................

Do you have any follow-up questions, or can I be of any further assistance on this question?

If not, please remember to rate my response as that is the only way I will receive credit (payment) for responding to your question. Without a rating, I am not compensated.

There is no charge for providing me with a rating.

Thanks very much,

Expert:  keeperumiami replied 23 days ago.

Just checking in.....................

I'd like to close out this question before the end of the month, if possible.

I would appreciate it if you would take a moment to let me know if I can assist you further and/or if you would provide a rating for my responses as indicated above.

Thanks again,