Experience:  Law Degree, specialization in Tax Law and Corporate Law, CFP and MBA, Providing Financial, Social Security & Tax advice since 1986

My Father died Aug 31 leaving my Mother as the surviving

Customer Question

My Father died Aug 31 leaving my Mother as the surviving spouse. SS directly deposited the SS check into their account at the end of the month as well. Will she have to return that check to SS.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Lane replied 1 month ago.

Hi My name's Lane. I can help here.

The check (or direct deposit) for each month’s benefit is issued in the following month. For example, the check that an individual receives in February is for the benefit payable for January.

This is referred to as a retrospective payment system. If a recipient dies late in the month, family members or the executor of the estate may not notify the Social Security Administration (SSA) in time to stop the payment.

SO they are then LATER informed that the check must be returned to the government.

So, if the check was sent in August, that would have been for July. But if ANOTHER check is received (likely will not be if you have reported the death) that one will have to go back

Expert:  Lane replied 1 month ago.

Please let me know if you have any questions at all, before rating me

If this HAS helped, and you DON’T have other questions … I'd appreciate a positive rating (using the stars or faces on your screen, and then clicking “submit") ... Otherwise JA doesn't credit me for the work here.

Thank you!

I hold a law degree, (Juris Doctorate), with concentration in Tax Law, Estate law & Corporate law, an MBA, with specialization in financial accounting & tax, a BBA, and CFP & CRPS designations, as well - I’ve been providing financial, Social Security/Medicare, estate, corporate, non-profit, and tax advice, since 1986.