Lane
Lane, JD,CFP, MBA, CRPS
Experience:  Law Degree, specialization in Tax Law and Corporate Law, CFP and MBA, Providing Financial, Social Security & Tax advice since 1986
1929974

My wife passed away 8-9-16 need to know what to do to stop

Customer Question

my wife passed away 8-9-16 need to know what to do to stop her check
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Lane replied 3 months ago.

Hi Roy. My naame's Lane. I can help you here. I'm sorry for your loss.

...

You should report her death to Social Security. However, you can also give the funeral home the deceased person's Social Security number if you want them to make the report.

...

If you need to report a death or apply for benefits, call 1-***-***-**** ( TTY 1-***-***-****). You can speak to a Social Security representative between 7 AM and 7 PM Monday through Friday.

Expert:  Lane replied 3 months ago.

Again so sorry, but you cannot report a death or apply for survivors benefits online.

....

You can read more about that here: https://www.ssa.gov/planners/survivors/howtoapply.html

...

Please let me know if you have any questions at all, before rating me

...

If this HAS helped, and you DON’T have other questions … I'd appreciate a positive rating (using the stars or faces on your screen, and then clicking “submit") ... Otherwise JA doesn't credit me for the work here.

...

Thank you!

Lane

I hold a law degree, (Juris Doctorate), with concentration in Tax Law, Estate law & Corporate law, an MBA, with specialization in financial accounting & tax, a BBA, and CFP & CRPS designations, as well - I’ve been providing financial, Social Security/Medicare, estate, corporate, non-profit, and tax advice, since 1986.

Expert:  Lane replied 3 months ago.

P.S. - Once you report the death, this will stop the checks ... You should ALSO be aware that if your wife's benefit was larger than yours, you can apply for survivors benefits and this will take your benefit up to 100% of hers (if you are over full retirement age)

...

Again, let me know if you have any questoins at all

...

Lane