dylatess
dylatess, ATTORNEY
Experience:  37 plus years of SSD practice
29685164

I am 92 years of age and a widower since January of 2013.

Customer Question

I am 92 years of age and a widower since January of 2013. Over the years my monthly Social Security check has been increasing by the Social Security Administration's annual rate adjustment - until the end of 2015. In 2015 my monthly check was $1,272.00. Starting on 12/31/2015 my monthly check has dropped to $1,100.20. I have no idea why this decrease occurred - can you explain this?
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Stephanie O Joy, Esq replied 3 months ago.

Hi, my name is***** and I am here to assist you. I am a social security attorney in my private practice – that is ALL I do. Please let me know that my post here is coming through for you by typing a quick reply.

There was no COLA this year, but that doesn't explain the drop. So let me ask a few questions, OK?

Can you tell me, ballpark, what your 2013 income was as well as your 2014? Was there a big difference in those two years?