Lane
Lane, JD,CFP, MBA, CRPS
Experience:  Law Degree, specialization in Tax Law and Corporate Law, CFP and MBA, Providing Financial, Social Security & Tax advice since 1986
1929974

I am an older parent, having had my children as late as age

Customer Question

I am an older parent, having had my children as late as age 46 When I applied, and received, social security benefits they said my son who was still in high school could receive benefits as well, which he is. My question is this I have a grand child living in my care and am paying for his insurance (just raised to $480 per month). Is there something or some place that social security can lead me to in order to help me with his costs?
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Lane replied 3 months ago.

Hi. My name's Lane. I can help here.

...

First, Social Security DOES sometimes pay a dependent benefit for grandchildren.

...

The simplest way is to adopt the granchild (Adopted children always qualify as children).

...

The other way is for the grandchild to be a dependent:

...

The requirements for that are as follows: (I'll underline the pertinent part)

...

To be dependent on the worker, a grandchild (or step-grandchild) must have:

1. Begun living with the worker before the grandchild became 18 years old; and

2. Lived with the worker in the U.S. and received at least one-half support from the worker:

1. For the year before the month the worker became entitled to retirement or disability insurance benefits or died; or

2. If the worker had a period of disability that lasted until he or she became entitled to benefits or died, for the year immediately before the month in which the period of disability began.

​...

(Essentially, the Social Security administration has taken the normal definition of dependent and added the additional requirement of living with the grandparent for at least one year prior to filing for benefits)

...

And here's the biggest hurdle (Both parents of the child are disabled or deceased)

...

Don't have all the facts here, but again, adopting the child is the clean and easy way to make this happen.

...

Please let me what questions you ave from here:

...

Lane

...

...

I hold a law degree, (Juris Doctorate), with concentration in Tax Law, Estate law & Corporate law, an MBA, with specialization in financial accounting & tax, a BBA, and CFP & CRPS designations, as well - I’ve been providing financial, Social Security/Medicare, estate, corporate, non-profit, and tax advice, since 1986

Expert:  Lane replied 2 months ago.

Hi

...

I’m just checking back in to see how things are going.

...

Did my answer help?

If this HAS helped, and you DON’T have other questions … I'd appreciate a positive rating (using the stars or faces on your screen, and then clicking “submit")

...

But again, let me know if you need more here.

...

Lane