dylatess, ATTORNEY
Experience:  37 plus years of SSD practice

Is social security disability automatically denied if you

Customer Question

Is social security disability automatically denied if you are on unemploymeny paymentw
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  emc011075 replied 1 month ago.

Hi Gail. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to help you.

Unemployment benefits and SS disability benefits are mutually exclusive. To qualify for unemployment you must be willing and able to work on a full-time basis. To qualify for disability you must be unable to work full time because of a disabling medical condition.

A legislation called the Reduction Overlapping Payment Act had been introduced to the senate that will require SSA to stop any SSDI payment while the applicant also received unemployment benefits. While the legislation has not been passed yet, receiving unemployment benefits while applying for SSDI will not help your application.

Expert:  emc011075 replied 1 month ago.

I see you read my respond. Do you have any questions? Is there anything else I can help you with today?