Stephanie O Joy, Esq
Stephanie O Joy, Esq, Soc. Sec. Attorney
Experience:  19+ years legal exp. - 10+ years owning/operating her own SSD Law practice.

I am a 79 year old widow and I draw $1232.00 on my late

Customer Question

I am a 79 year old widow and I draw $1232.00 on my late husbands social security. Since some very learned individual decided that widows like me could only get their check on the day of the month their spouse was born, in my case was the second Wednesday of the month, that is pay day for me. Did that person take into consideration that amounts to 35 or 42 days between pay days? No I do not think they thought at all about how it would affect a person. How would any one of you like to go that many days between your pay checks.
I think it is time that you change the rule!!!!!
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Stephanie O Joy, Esq replied 1 month ago.

I know it is frustrating, if you have not been able to get "1 month" ahead - because if you can do that, it won't matter what date your 2nd Wed falls on - you will always have 1 month in the bank to be used for the next month.

But, to be clear, here is the schedule of your payments, in the DARK SOLID BLUE boxes.

As you can see, you typically have ONLY 28 days (4 X 7 = 28) between checks, with the exception of April's check, which is 5 X 7 = 35 days, July's check, September's check and December's check. So 8 of the 12 months you actually go LESS than 30 days between checks, and 4 of twelve months you go more than 35 days. This happens also to those who get the 3rd Wed or 4th Wed of the month as their payday.

So, if you can budget just a little bit, perhaps being creative with coupons and such, to get ahead by ONE month, you won't have to worry about which date you get paid. It can take a while though!

I get paid legal work fees for clients, via the government (routed through the government, but not the governments money, it is the client's money) for my SS work on behalf of claimants and beneficiaries --- and if you want to hear REALLY bad, get this. The government sometimes sits on my paycheck for months and months and months, for absolutely no reason, only because some staffer did not press the direct deposit button. It causes severe cash flow issues, temporary but expensive debt that is hard to pay off, given interest expenses, etc. It is ludicrous. So I too try to get ahead so when there is a cog in the payment wheel, we can survive, but it is not always possible. I do feel your pain.