Barbara
Barbara, Enrolled Agent
Experience:  18+ years of experience in tax preparation; 25+ years of experience as a real estate/corporate paralegal.
71603090

As a result of a fraud, I had to change my account number at

Customer Question

As a result of a fraud, I had to change my account number at the bank. The bank said they would notify Social Security of the change in account number. This is for my husband and I. I have not received the deposits, which usually came on the last day of the month. How can I check if Social Security was notified, and if the checks are on the way?
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Barbara replied 4 months ago.

Welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you.

You can change your bank account for direct deposit by:

Setting up a my Social Security account and starting or changing your direct deposit online (Social Security benefits only);

Contacting your bank, credit union or savings and loan association; or

Calling Social Security at 1-***-***-**** (TTY 1-***-***-****).

Your first step should be to contact your bank and request confirmation that they notified Social Security of the account number change. You will then want to call Social Security to request confirmation that they made the change. Social Security is open between the hours of 7:00 am and 7:00 pm, Monday through Friday.

Please let me know if I can assist you further.

Thank you and best regards,

Barb