ABC Accounting Group
ABC Accounting Group, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Experience:  Business Consultant/Accounting Manager
89981332

I am the guardian and caregiver of my handicapped sister.

Customer Question

I am the guardian and caregiver of my handicapped sister. When I retired, I was told by the IRS that any assistance that I receive for her care was "not income". They gave me a document (2014-7) that explained this.
Does the Social Security Administration abide by this document?
Is assistance that I receive for her care considered income by SSA even though the IRS does not consider it so?
Thanks ***@******.***
Category: Social Security
Expert:  ABC Accounting Group replied 3 months ago.

Hi.

For the majority of people, Social Security Disability benefits are not taxable. This is true for people who have income in addition to disability benefits as well as those who do not.

Your Social Security Retirement income will only be taxed if you have income from other sources and your combined income is more than a certain base amount.

Social Security income does not include Supplemental Security Income payments. Those payments are not taxable

I hope this helps. Best Wishes to You.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

If I answered all of your questions, a positive rating (using the faces or stars on your screen, and then clicking “submit") would be greatly appreciated.

I know it takes an extra step, but JustAnswer won’t credit us for the work until you rate.

Thank you!