LawTalk, Attorney
Experience:  I have 30 years of legal and litigation experience, including representing clients before the U.S. Social Security Administration.
15277592

My sister and her significant other are finally getting

Customer Question

My sister and her significant other are finally getting married after 25+ years together.
He is hospitalized at this time, gravely ill. She is not old enough to collect ss, is there a waiting period after the marriage for her to collect half of his social security?
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Christopher B, Esq. replied 6 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I will be helping you today. Thank you for your question and for using justanswer.com.

You have to be married 1 year to collect the spousal benefit (50% of the spouse's benefit when she reaches full retirement age) and 9 months to collect a survivor benefit. In order to collect the spousal benefit she must be at least 62 years of age and age 60 to collect a survivor benefit (age 50 if disabled). These amounts would be reduced for her because of the early retirement penalty. Also understand that she will not be able to collect both the spousal benefit and her own SS retirement benefit. She collects only the larger of the two benefits.

Please let me know if you have any further questions and please positively rate my answer if satisfied. There should be smiley faces with numbers from 1-5 to choose from. This extra step will cost you nothing extra and will ensure that I will be compensated by the site for my time.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Expert:  LawTalk replied 6 months ago.

Good afternoon,

You asked for a new professional to answer your questions. I'm Doug, and I'm very sorry to hear of your situation. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

I sense that your questions and issues might be better served by an in-depth conversation with me. If you are interested, for a very nominal charge I can offer you a private phone conference.

I will need to know some additional information as well.

1. Have doctors said how long that they expect your sister's partner to live?

2. What is your sister's age?

3. What is the age of her partner?

4. Is your sister disabled?

Thanks in advance,

Doug