dylatess, ATTORNEY
Experience:  37 plus years of SSD practice

I worked six years after I retired and they took out ss

Customer Question

I worked six years after I retired and they took out ss every year.why sould I not get benefits from that?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Lane replied 1 month ago.

Hi, My name's Lane ... can help you here

The formula that Social Security uses to calculate your AIME (Average Indexed Monthly Earnings) which then is further factored to generate your PIA (Primary Insurance Amount) ... which is your retirement benefit at full retirement age, uses your 35 highest earnings years.

So the way your continued work time affects that depends on how is relates to the REST of your earnings.

Someone who doesn't HAVE 35 years in the system, and goes back to work, always positively affects their retirement benefit (becasue they are replacing zeros in the average with SOMETHING).

If you work longer and already have 35 years in the system and earn relatively lower (to those 35 years) yearly earning you may not see an increase.