Christopher B, Esq.
Christopher B, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  associate attorney
84496330

Can I get social security disability for having diabetes

Customer Question

Can I get social security disability for having diabetes type 2?
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Christopher B, Esq. replied 3 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I will be helping you tonight. Thank you for your question and for using justanswer.com. Give me a bit and I will draft you an answer.

If you have uncontrolled diabetes and you have been prevented from working for at least 12 months, or you expect that you won't be able to work for at least 12 months, then you may be eligible for Social Security disability(SSDI/SSD) benefits or Supplemental Security Income (SSI) benefits. But to qualify for disability benefits, the damage caused by your diabetes must severely limit what you can do, or you must have complications that fulfill the requirements of one of Social Security's disability listings.

If your diabetes is uncontrolled because you don't follow your doctor's prescribed treatment, you won't be eligible for disability. The Social Security Administration (SSA) has a Listing of Impairments (the "Blue Book") that tells you how severe an illness must be to qualify for disability benefits. Unfortunately, diabetes is no longer included as a separate disability listing, so showing you have been diagnosed with diabetes won't automatically get you disability benefits. But, if you have complications arising from your diabetes that fall under a disability listing, you might get approved for benefits.

Following are some listing that people with complications from diabetes (hyperglycemia and hypoglycemia) often suffer from:

(1) Diabetic retinopathy (Listing 2.00). If you have blurred vision or poor visual acuity (between 20/100 and 20/200 in your better eye), or poor peripheral vision from surgery to correct your central vision, you can qualify for disability benefits under this listing.

(2) Diabetic nephropathy (Listing 6.06). If your kidneys are no longer filtering properly and you require daily dialysis or there is evidence of too much protein or creatine in your plasma, you may be able to qualify for benefits.

(3) Diabetic peripheral neuropathies (Listing 11.14). Most people with diabetes have some form of nerve damage in their hands, feet, arms, or legs. But to qualify for benefits under this listing, you have to show that your neuropathy causes a significant disruption of your ability to walk, stand, or use your hands in a skilled way.

(4) Cardiovascular problems. Diabetes can lead to coronary artery disease (listing 4.04), chronic heart failure (listing 4.02), peripheral vascular disease (listing 4.12), and an irregular heartbeat (listing 4.05).

(5) Poorly healing skin and bacterial infections (Listing 8.04). If you have ulcerating skin lesions that last for three months despite treatment and make it difficult for you to walk or use your hands, you can qualify for benefits under the listing for chronic skin infections.

(6) Amputation of an extremity (Listing 1.05). If you've had a foot amputated due to nerve damage and poor circulation caused by diabetes, you may be able to get benefits if you have other limitations as well.

So to answer your question, yes you can but it will have to be shown by the complications and how it affects your ability to work for more than 12 months.

Please let me know if you have any further questions and please positively rate my answer if satisfied. There should be smiley faces or numbers from 1-5 to choose from. This extra step will cost you nothing extra and will be greatly appreciated.

Just checking back in, do you have any further questions?