Christopher B, Esq.
Christopher B, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  associate attorney

I am 62 and i want to inquire about collecting on my x

Customer Question

i am 62 and i want to inquire about collecting on my x husbands ss
we were married for 34 years
divorced the last 7
him and i are close friends still
he is on disability
how do i find out how much it would be
mine would be under $400 at 62
also, how limited would my ability to work be..?
we have even wondered if re-marrying would help me
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Christopher B, Esq. replied 1 month ago.

My name is ***** ***** I will be helping you today. Thank you for your question and for using

If you did not remarry before age 60 or you are currently not married and were married to your ex for over 10 years then you would be eligible for an ex spousal benefit (it is normally 50% of the exes benefit) IF your ex currently is receiving his SSA benefit. Understand that at your age (age 62) you are not a full retirement age (which should be age 66 for you). This means that if you elect to take the spousal benefit, you are deemed to also elect to take you normal retirement benefit. Both of these benefits would be reduced by the early retirement penalty. The spousal down to 32.5% and your normal SSA benefit reduced as well. You do not get both benefit, ONLY the higher of the two benefits. It is NEVER a good idea to make an election to take SSA in early retirement if you are working and getting a significant wage. Since you are than full retirement age during all of 2016, SSA will deduct $1 from your benefits for each $2 you earn above $15,720. Remarrying will not effect anything as you are already eligible and nothing changes with marriage in your circumstance.

Please let me know if you have any further questions and please positively rate my answer if satisfied. There should be smiley faces or numbers from 1-5 to choose from. This extra step will cost you nothing extra and will be greatly appreciated.

Just checking back, do you have any further questions?