Stephanie O Joy, Esq
Stephanie O Joy, Esq, Soc. Sec. Attorney
Experience:  19+ years legal exp. - 10+ years owning/operating her own SSD Law practice.
10805288

Have you received notification of my mother, Belle

Customer Question

Have you received notification of my mother, Belle Fredricksen's death? Her SSN is###-##-####
I was her payee for her social security check and I need to have the payment check discontinued.
My Mom passed away in Sacramento, CA on 3 August 2016.
Thank you!
Carol Fredricksen
E-mail: ***@******.***. My home E-mail address is:***@******.***
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Stephanie O Joy, Esq replied 4 months ago.

Hi Carol, I am very sorry for your loss.

You will want to send a copy of the death certificate to your local SSA office to confirm her passing.

Note that any payment that may be sent to the bank account in September or after, will be owed BACK to the SSA, so do not spend it. There are times when the processing of a terminated claim due to death does not complete until after the other branch that issues direct deposit payments to beneficiaries has already initiated payment. However, typically, the SSA, once it learns of the death, will contact the bank to reverse any inappropriate payment, so you may not need to send it back at all. Just keep an eye on it.

I hope this helps! My goal is to provide you with excellent and accurateservice – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions.

Kindly rate me "excellent" when you aredone. I look forward to assisting you in the future, should you have legal questions. Be sure to start future posts with "To ***** Esq., ONLY" if you want me to specifically answer it.

Sincerely, ***** ***** Joy, Esq.

Your online SS legal resource!