Barbara, Enrolled Agent
Experience:  18+ years of experience in tax preparation; 25+ years of experience as a real estate/corporate paralegal.

I plan to retire at 62 on 12/12/2016. My husband is retired

Customer Question

I plan to retire at 62 on 12/12/2016. My husband is retired and draws social security. My question is can I draw my husbands social security or my own, and which way will give me the best benefit.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Barbara replied 1 month ago.

Welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you.

If you’ve worked for at least 10 years and earned a minimum of 40 work credits, you are vested in the Social Security system.  Once you reach age 62, you will be eligible for your own Social Security benefit whether you’re married or not and whether your husband collects Social Security or not.

Most women are potentially due two benefits: your own retirement benefit and wife’s benefit on your husband’s record.  But you only get the one that pays the higher rate, not both.  A wife is due between one-third and one-half of her husband’s Social Security.  Most working women who reach retirement age get their own Social Security benefit because it’s more than one-third to one-half of the husband’s rate.  But if your husband dies before you, you can apply for the higher widow’s rate.

The following link contains excellent information that you will find helpful:

Please let me know if I can assist you further.

Thank you and best regards,

Expert:  Barbara replied 1 month ago.

Just following up with you to see if you have any other questions or concerns. If so, please let me know, and I will be happy to assist you further.

Best regards,