dylatess, ATTORNEY
Experience:  37 plus years of SSD practice

My wife died on April 9, 2015. She was 61 at that time. I am

Customer Question

My wife died on April 9, 2015. She was 61 at that time. I am 62, turning 63 in December. I made more money per year than her and will have a larger social security check upon retirement. i make between $160,000 to $190,000 annually.
When can I and should I file for her Social Security benefits?
I hope to work until 66 (full retirement) and 68 if I stay healthy?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  ABC Accounting Group replied 1 month ago.

Hi. Sorry for your loss. You can collect a monthly benefit, but at the age of 62, you will only receive a little over 70% of the amount you could get if you wait until you can receive your full benefit (which is age 66 for people born in 1945-1956). Best Regards.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I am talking about my wife's benefit. Is there a cap on how much i can make a year and collect her's? Can i switch to my full retirement benefit when I retire? The social security rep said i make too much money to claim hers before my full retirement age