Barbara, Enrolled Agent
Experience:  18+ years of experience in tax preparation; 25+ years of experience as a real estate/corporate paralegal.

I am 65 and will be turning 66 on Jan 13, 2016. Should I

Customer Question

I am 65 and will be turning 66 on Jan 13, 2016. Should I draw SS Benefit after I am 66 or wait? As my income will be $150,000 per year or more after I am 66 at my work.
JA: These retirement benefits are supposed to help us but they can be so complicated! The Retirement Expert will help you get the most benefits propertly. Is there anything else important you think the Retirement Accountant should know?
Customer: I am active and have my own private dental practice and have no plan to retire for a while as I enjoy work and I am very healthy
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Barbara replied 2 months ago.

Welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you.

It is your decision to apply for your Social Security benefits once you reach 66 or wait until a later time. Since your income will be $150,000+, 85% of your Social Security benefits will be taxable when you start receiving those benefits.

Please let me know if I can assist you further.

Thank you and best regards,

Expert:  Barbara replied 2 months ago.

Another expert has suggested that I mention the following:

"You might also point out that he will get an 8% DRC for every year that he waits ... making his benfit 132% of the age 66, FRA benefit amount, (PIA) - His comment about being healthy could be a hint that he knows this and expects to receive that MUCH larger benefit for a long time."

I hope this additional information is helpful to you.

Best regards,