emc011075
emc011075, Tax Adviser
Experience:  Tax adviser IRS licensed Enrolled Agent and tax instructor
62958156

I've been told that SS does not recognize a Durable Power of

Customer Question

I've been told that SS does not recognize a Durable Power of Attorney(DPA) to handle someone's finances. What is someone suppose to do instead?
Category: Social Security
Expert:  emc011075 replied 3 months ago.

Hi. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to help you.

That's correct. The Treasury Department does not recognize power of attorney for negotiating federal payments, including Social Security or SSI checks. You have to apply to be representative payee. You will need to complete SSA-11 form and visit your local SS office with an ID and your social security number.

I see you read my respond. Do you have any questions? Is there anything else I can help you with today?

And if this answered your question, please take a moment to rate my response so that I may receive credit for assisting you today. You find the rating bar on the top of the page – 5 stars. However, if you need clarification, or want to discuss this issue further, let me know. Thank you.