Lane
Lane, JD,CFP, MBA, CRPS
Experience:  Law Degree, specialization in Tax Law and Corporate Law, CFP and MBA, Providing Financial, Social Security & Tax advice since 1986
1929974

I received a letter from Social Security saying my father

Customer Question

Good morning. I received a letter from Social Security saying my father was due Social Security payments at the time of his death. The letter states it must be completed within 5 days. I had to contact Nashville for a copy of his death certificate as I did not have an extra one. I called on Monday, August22. My brother went there to pay and they should be sending it. I have the marriage certificate but no death certificate yet. It is 5 days today and I don't have the info needed. Will there still be an opportunity for a claim?
JA: The Retirement Accountant will know how to help. Is there anything else important you think the Retirement Accountant should know?
Customer: The letter is dated 8/15 but I did not receive until Saturday, 8/20.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  ABC Accounting Group replied 3 months ago.

Hi. Sorry to hear of your loss.

Social Security checks usually go out at the 3rd of the month - I would wait until then. It usually takes a little time. I would call Social Security next week to check on the status. Their # is 1-***-***-****.

Let me know if you have any questions. Best Regards.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
My father passed in 2003! I am trying to find out if the fact we are returning the documents to SS in more than the 5 days requested, will they still honor the claim.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
No, I am not paying $52 to speak with someone. This is BS. Cancel my membership now!

Sorry- did not realize the year - I will opt out to a Law Expert.

Expert:  Lane replied 3 months ago.

Hi - I am a different expert. My name's Lane I can help here.

...

First, please understand that we experts are just users as you (athough with credentials verified, and passed testing). These phone call offers are something that the site (JustAnswer.com) throws out there. You DO NOT need to accept, and won't be charged unless you do.

...

I have a law degree, with concentration in Tax Law, Estate law & Corporate law, an MBA, with specialization in finance & tax, as well as CFP® and CRPS designations. - I’ve been providing financial, Social Security/Medicare, estate, corporate, both for-profit and non-profit, and tax advice on three continents, since 1986 - I can help you here.

...

No, the ability to claim does not go away after a few days.

...

See this: https://www.ssa.gov/forms/ssa-1724.html

...

Expert:  Lane replied 3 months ago.

Finally, they know that mail time is unpredictable. Call the main number, make sure that thy know you are running down the needed documentation, and you will have easily met the deadline (you may want to curl up with a book, there WILL be a wait-time).

...

But having ALL of the documentation, and filing a claim are two different things. Call them today, so that the claim is filed today. They will give you rtime on the documentation ADn can even help with gathering it.

...

Please let me know if you have any questions at all.

...

If this HAS helped, and you DON’T have other questions … I'd appreciate a positive rating (using the faces or stars on your screen, and then clicking “submit")

I know it takes an extra step, but JustAnswer won’t credit us for the work until you rate.

...

Thank you!

Lane

I have a law degree, with concentration in Tax Law, Estate law & Corporate law, an MBA, with specialization in finance & tax, as well as CFP® and CRPS designations. - I’ve been providing financial, Social Security/Medicare, estate, corporate, both for-profit and non-profit, and tax advice on three continents, since 1986.