LawTalk, Attorney
Experience:  I have 30 years of legal and litigation experience, including representing clients before the U.S. Social Security Administration.
15277592

I am 74 yrs old and entitled to an Australian old age

Customer Question

I am 74 yrs old and entitled to an Australian old age pension as well as social security here. There is a means test of $67k on the Australian pension. My wife retired last year and I lost my Winter job this season, so now my income will be below the means test. The Australians said I have to report to the Social Security Office here. I live in Stamford. Who do I report to ? Rodney Brent.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  LawTalk replied 3 months ago.

Good afternoon Rodney,

I'm Doug, and I'm sorry to hear of the confusion. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

I did a bit of research for you---actually I just got off the phone with the Australian Consulate in Washington DC. In order to apply for your Australian old age pension you need to contact Centrelink. This is the government agency that will get your pension started. You can reach them toll free from the US at 1-***-***-****.

Additionally, you can reach their website at this link:

https://www.humanservices.gov.au/?utm_id=7

If you are expecting a coordination of benefits---which is what you would expect if you are already receiving US social security, then you would need to contact your local social security office in your city or a city nearby to you.

Here is information for the Stamford CT social security office:

Stamford Social Security Office Address :

SUITE 105
2 LANDMARK SQUARE
STAMFORD, CT 06901

Social Security Phone (Local) : 1-***-***-****

Social Security Phone (Nat'l) : 1-***-***-****
TTY : 1-***-***-****
Social Security Office Hours :

MON: 09:00 AM - 04:00 PM
TUES: 09:00 AM - 04:00 PM
WED: 09:00 AM - 12:00 PM
THUR: 09:00 AM - 04:00 PM
FRI: 09:00 AM - 04:00 PM
SAT & SUN: CLOSED

You may reply back to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.

I hope that I have been able to fully answer your question. As I am not an employee of JustAnswer, please be so kind as to rate my service to you. That is the only way I am compensated for assisting you. Thank you in advance.

I wish you and yours the best in 2016,

Doug

Expert:  LawTalk replied 3 months ago.

Good afternoon,

This seems like a very crucial matter for you, and your questions and issues suggest that an in-depth conversation might best suit your needs. If you are interested, for a very nominal charge I can offer you a private phone conference as opposed to continuing in this question and answer thread which is searchable and viewable by the public.

Please know that I answered your question in good faith, providing you with the information that you asked for, and I did that with the expectation that you would act likewise and rate my service to you. If I have already provided you with the information you asked for and you have no additional questions, would you please now rate my service to you so I can be compensated for assisting you?

Thanks in advance,

Doug

Expert:  LawTalk replied 3 months ago.

Is there anything else I can assist you with today?

Doug