Lane
Lane, JD,CFP, MBA, CRPS
Experience:  Law Degree, specialization in Tax Law and Corporate Law, CFP and MBA, Providing Financial, Social Security & Tax advice since 1986
1929974

I need to find out if my ex wife is drawing social security

Customer Question

I need to find out if my ex wife is drawing social security disability through my benefits
JA: These retirement benefits are supposed to help us but they can be so complicated! The Retirement Expert will help you get the most benefits propertly. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.
Customer: I divorced last year, ex was given the right to draw disability from my earnings, however alimony is scheduled to be reduced once she starts receiving benefits. I need to check to see if she has started drawing a check from my ss
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Retirement Accountant should know?
Customer: No I just need a way to check this periodically, she is not the type to volunteer the information.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Lane replied 7 months ago.

Hi. My name's Lane. I can help you here.

...

I'm so sorry, but under the Privacy Act (5 U.S.C. § 552a), Social Security won't release this unless you get a court order.

...

Given that this was part of the decree, you can petition the same court (court where divirce was filed) to produce a discovery order that you can then service on Social Security in the Baltiore Service Center.

...

You can also do the same thing, as a discovery order, to compell your ex to provide this information ... and if she doesn't would be found to be in contempt.

...

But if you simply approach Social Security, they won't provide that information.

...

Also, I'd check to see whether the wording in the decree specified receipt of benefits, or becomes eligible for benefits. Eligibility is something you can determine based on the basic eligibility requirements, age, your receiving benefits, etc.

...

Please et me know if you have questions from here

...

I hope you’ll rate me (using those stars, or faces on your screen, by clicking submit) based on thoroughness and accuracy, rather than any good news / bad news content. Otherwise I’m working for no crediting at all here.

Thank you!

Lane

I have a law degree, (Juris Doctorate), with concentration in Tax Law, Estate law & Corporate law, an MBA, with specialization in financial accounting & tax, a BBA, and CFP & CRPS designations, as well - I’ve been providing financial, Social Security/Medicare, estate, corporate, non-profit, and tax advice, since 1986.