Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Experience:  B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.
16551887

How can I get my deceased husbands social security? I'll be

Customer Question

How can I get my deceased husbands social security? I'll be 60 in October 2016. I make $24,000 a year, I was denied. I was told to wait that I can't get it until I am at age of 62.
JA: The Retirement Accountant will know how to help. Is there anything else important you think the Retirement Accountant should know?
Customer: My husband died in 1978 his date of birth 11/28/46
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 3 months ago.

Hello: This is Attorney Phillips. Welcome to Justanswer! I will be assisting you today with your post. I am sorry to read about your difficulties. I am preparing my response to your post and I will post it very shortly. Thank you for your patience.

You were denied because you are not eligible. You would be able to re-apply after you turn age 60, not age 62. Age 62 is if your husband were still alive. So, upon reaching age 60 in October, you should go to the local office of Social Security Administration and apply for benefits or you can do so on the phone. However, it is better to go in person with your documents and apply. For more information on how to apply, click on the link below:

https://www.ssa.gov/planners/survivors/onyourown2.html

If you do not have any follow-up question(s), kindly give a positive rating to my response so that I can receive credit for responding to your post. That’s the way that I get paid for answering questions on the site. There is no additional cost to you for giving a positive rating.

Thank you for your cooperation.