Lane
Lane, JD,CFP, MBA, CRPS
Experience:  Law Degree, specialization in Tax Law and Corporate Law, CFP and MBA, Providing Financial, Social Security & Tax advice since 1986
1929974

I read in the AARP newsletter that I qualify for my social

Customer Question

I read in the AARP newsletter that I qualify for my social security to be based on my ex-husband's earnings. What do I need to do to receive this?
JA: The Retirement Accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.
Customer: What more do I need?
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Retirement Accountant should know?
Customer: Not that I know of.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Lane replied 7 months ago.

Hi. My name's Lane ... I can help you here

...

Yes, you can IF you meet the qualifications:

...

If you are divorced, but your marriage lasted 10 years or longer, you can receive benefits on your ex-spouse's record (even if he or she has remarried) if:

• You are unmarried;
  • You are age 62 or older;
  • Your ex-spouse is entitled to Social Security retirement or disability benefits and
  • The benefit you are entitled to receive based on your own work is less than the benefit you would receive based on your ex-spouse's work.
Expert:  Lane replied 7 months ago.

If your ex-spouse has not applied for retirement benefits, but can qualify for them, you can receive benefits on his or her record if you have been divorced for at least two years.

...

If you are eligible for retirement benefits on your own recordand divorced spouse’s benefits, we will pay the retirement benefit first. If the benefit on your ex-spouse’s record is higher, you will get an additional amount on your ex-spouse’s record so that the combination of benefits equals that higher amount.

...

You can read about this directly from Social Security here: https://www.ssa.gov/planners/retire/divspouse.html

...

. … Please let me know if you have any questions at all, before rating me

...

If this HAS helped, and you DON’T have other questions … I'd appreciate a positive rating (using the stars or faces on your screen, and then clicking “submit")

Otherwise I’m working for no crediting at all here

...

Thank you!

Lane

I hold a law degree, (Juris Doctorate), with concentration in Tax Law, Estate law & Corporate law, an MBA, with specialization in financial accounting & tax, a BBA, and CFP & CRPS designations, as well - I’ve been providing financial, Social Security/Medicare, estate, corporate, non-profit, and tax advice, since 1986.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I qualify, we were married 17 years. I am 70 and he is 78. Now what do I do?
Expert:  Lane replied 7 months ago.

You can apply online here:

...

https://secure.ssa.gov/iClaim/rib

...

...

But,, let me know if you need more here.

...

Lane

Expert:  Lane replied 7 months ago.

...

I’m just checking back in to see how things are going.

...

Did my answer help?

...

Let me know…

...

Thanks

Lane