Lane
Lane, JD,CFP, MBA, CRPS
Experience:  Law Degree, specialization in Tax Law and Corporate Law, CFP and MBA, Providing Financial, Social Security & Tax advice since 1986
1929974

My ex husand and partner of 51 yrs passed away Aug 12th

Customer Question

My ex husand and partner of 51 yrs passed away Aug 12th Nither one of us married others Do I apply for Widow benefits or suvior benefits
JA: These retirement benefits are supposed to help us but they can be so complicated! The Retirement Expert will help you get the most benefits propertly. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.
Customer: Thats about all Do I apply for Widow benefits or Suvior benefits
JA: Is there anything else the Retirement Accountant should be aware of?
Customer: Not that I know of Married in 1963 Divorced in 1993 and got back together in 1995
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Lane replied 3 months ago.

Hi. My name's Lane. I can help yoiu here.

...

First, I'm sorry for your loss.

...

The term widows (or widowers) benefits and survivor benefits both refer to the same benefit.

...

And yes, as long as you did not remarry, and were married for 10 years or more, you qualify.

...

These are examples of the benefits that survivors may receive:

...

• Widow or widower, full retirement age or older -- 100 percent of the deceased worker's benefit amount;
  • Widow or widower, age 60 -- full retirement age -- 71½ to 99 percent of the deceased worker's basic amount;
  • Disabled widow or widower aged 50 through 59 -- 71½ percent;
Expert:  Lane replied 3 months ago.

You cannot report a death or apply for survivors benefits online.

Social Security should be notified as soon as possible when a person dies.

...

In most cases, the funeral home will report the person’s death to Social Security. You should give the funeral home the deceased person’s Social Security number if you want them to make the report.

...

If you need to report a death or apply for benefits, call 1-***-***-**** (TTY 1-***-***-****). You can speak to a Social Security representative between 7 AM and 7 PM Monday through Friday. You can also contact your local Social Security office.

...

An appointment is not required, but if you call ahead and schedule one, it may reduce the time you spend waiting to speak to someone.

Expert:  Lane replied 3 months ago.

Just so you'll know what's on the form here it is: https://www.ssa.gov/forms/ssa-10.pdf

...

And here's the site that lists what you'll need to provide at the time you make the application:

...

https://www.ssa.gov/forms/ssa-10.html

Expert:  Lane replied 3 months ago.

Please let me know if you have any questions at all, before rating me

...

If this HAS helped, and you DON’T have other questions … I'd appreciate a positive rating (using the stars or faces on your screen, and then clicking “submit")

Otherwise I’m working for no crediting at all here

...

Thank you!

Lane

I hold a law degree, (Juris Doctorate), with concentration in Tax Law, Estate law & Corporate law, an MBA, with specialization in financial accounting & tax, a BBA, and CFP & CRPS designations, as well - I’ve been providing financial, Social Security/Medicare, estate, corporate, non-profit, and tax advice, since 1986.