keeperumiami, Senior Tax Expert & Financial Planner
Experience:  Sr Tax Expert/Financial PlannerCPA/PFS (retired)Over forty years of advising individuals & small businesses

I am on ssi disability and get $8724 I rent two rooms out

Customer Question

I am on ssi disability and get $8724 I rent two rooms out for 500 apiece totaling $ 12,000 ..I was told and have read that you divide your ssi by two and if your total is less than $25,00 that you would not have to pay income tax or file...what is right ?
Category: Social Security
Expert:  keeperumiami replied 2 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** goal is to give you a complete & accurate answer. I am working on your request now & I will respond as soon as possible.

You will not have to pay any income tax on your Social Security income, but you will have to file a tax return to report your rental income. You should have sufficient expenses to offset the gross rental income so that you will have no income tax to pay.

Expert:  keeperumiami replied 1 month ago.

Just checking in....................

I see that you had a chance to view my response to your question.

Do you have any follow-up questions, or can I be of any further assistance on this question?

If not, please remember to rate my response as that is the only way I will receive credit (payment) for responding to your question. Without a rating, I am not compensated.

There is no charge for providing me with a rating.

Thanks very much,