emc011075, Tax Adviser
Experience:  Tax adviser IRS licensed Enrolled Agent and tax instructor

I am recently widowed. Both myself and my spouse were

Customer Question

I am recently widowed. Both myself and my spouse were receiving. My amount was higher was higher than my husband'sSSA is telling me that his entire monthly benefit goes away and all I am entitled to is a $255 one time burial stipend.
Thanks for your input.Maggie W
Category: Social Security
Expert:  emc011075 replied 2 months ago.

Hi. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to help you.

You are entitled to survivor/widow benefits that could be as high as 100% if your deceased husband's benefits. You are also entitled to your own benefits. But you can only collect one benefits at the time; your own, spousal or survivor benefits. If your own benefits are higher than you survivor benefits social security assumes you will take the your own higher benefits.

I see you offline now. So if this answered your question, please take a moment to rate my response so that I may receive credit for assisting you today. You find the rating bar on the top of the page – 5 stars. However, if you need clarification, or want to discuss this issue further, let me know. Thank you.