Dr. Fiona Chen
Dr. Fiona Chen, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Experience:  Former IRS Revenue Agent

I would like to use some money for a start of a family

Customer Question

I would like to use some money for a start of a family business that is a small gold mining company in Ghana. The lawyer already went to the court and started the paper work for changing the ownership this will be final on Monday August 22, 2016. I need $1700 sent to them before this can be done. May I use my Social Security Disability check money? The person that it will be paid back with interest.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Dr. Fiona Chen replied 2 months ago.

Dear Customer,

This is a hoax and scheme. My advice is DO NOT DO IT.

This type of scam is well publicized even in the website. Some of the links are enclosed here for your reference.

Somehow, some of the scams even target disabled persons.

Also, when you have spare money for investment as such, your social security disability eligibility can be in question, too. You may need to contact the Social Security Administration, too.

This attorney you are referring must not be in the U.S. In the United States, the process is with the State Government and not with the Court to start with.

Please consult further with law enforcement agencies and attorneys, even free legal clinic, in the U.S. You can start with local police department, state attorney general's office, and local FBI office. You can always postpone the procedure even if it is true.

It is a well know scam, hoax. Don't fall for it.

Fiona Chen, MPA, Ph.D., CPA, ABV, CFF, CITP