emc011075
emc011075, Tax Adviser
Experience:  Tax adviser IRS licensed Enrolled Agent and tax instructor
62958156

If you and spouse collect ss and one spouse dies are you

Customer Question

If you and spouse collect ss and one spouse dies are you entitled to any of their ss payment?
JA: No. I'm the Retirement Accountant's Assistant.
Customer: Is it possible that there will be a change in 2017?
JA: The Retirement Accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.
Customer: I HEARD FROM A FINANCIAL ADVISOR THAT SOCIAL SECUITY WAS CHANGING SO THE SURVIVING SPOUSE COULD COLLECT HAVE THE
JA: Is there anything else the Retirement Accountant should be aware of?
Customer: NO
Category: Social Security
Expert:  emc011075 replied 3 months ago.

Hi. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to help you.

Nobody is entitled to somebody else's benefits. The benefits can only be calculated on somebody else's records. A wife is not entitled to her husband's benefits, she is entitled to her own benefits based on her husband's records.

That being said when one spouse dies, the other spouse is usually entitled to survivor/widow(er) benefits. The benefits can be up to 100% of the deceased spouse's benefits depending on when the surviving spouse started collecting his/her benefits. When the surviving spouse applied for his benefits before his full retirement age, he permanently reduced his own but also spousal/survivor/widower benefits.

Government have not announced any changes for 2017.

I see you offline now. So if this answered your question, please take a moment to rate my response so that I may receive credit for assisting you today. You find the rating bar on the top of the page – 5 stars. However, if you need clarification, or want to discuss this issue further, let me know. Thank you.