PDtax
PDtax, CPA firm owner
Experience:  35 years tax and professional advice in all matters money
64119565

My brother for whom I am payee on his SS is mentally

Customer Question

My brother for whom I am payee on his SS is mentally disabled. We are being hounded by relatives who want to get guardianship of him to collect his SS. Is there any way we can stop his social security permanently so they will quit harassing us? We do not need the money but do need the peace of mind that stopping his SS will afford us.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  PDtax replied 3 months ago.

Hi from just answer. I'mCustomer I'll assist.

Expert:  PDtax replied 3 months ago.

It is rare that a disability recipient wants to suspend collecting benefits, but you can.

You need to both go to a social security office in person to do this, and both of you will have to identify yourselves and make your application to suspend.

They may suggest you keep your benefits, and route the payments to another entity, like a trust. I would suggest that as well, because there could be real problems if you are the income earner and caregiver and you predecease.

Consider using some of the payments to buy enough life insurance to replace you and your income. I know that wasn't your question, but I wanted to make that suggestion.

Thanks for asking at just answer. Positive feedback is appreciated. I'mCustomer