ABC Accounting Group
ABC Accounting Group, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Experience:  Business Consultant/Accounting Manager

My husband hasbpassed away am I to get his benefit since his

Customer Question

my husband hasbpassed away am I to get his benefit since his are then mine
JA: These retirement benefits are supposed to help us but they can be so complicated! The Retirement Expert will help you get the most benefits propertly. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.
Customer: I was told that which ever was higher was the benefits that I would get I only get $730. a month and he got $ 1395. do I qualify for the difference or his benefits I cannot live on $ 730. a month
JA: Is there anything else the Retirement Accountant should be aware of?
Customer: do I need to ask someone else?
Category: Social Security
Expert:  ABC Accounting Group replied 2 months ago.

Hi. Sorry to hear of your loss.

Yes - you should be covered under the Social Security Survivor's Insurance program.

The rules are as follows:

If you have already reached full retirement age (somewhere between 65 and 67 based on your date of birth; if you aren't sure, check your latest Social Security annual statement), you're entitled to 100% of your deceased spouse's benefit.

If you're at least 60 but not yet at Social Security's definition of "full retirement age," your payout will be somewhere in the range of 71% to 99% of your deceased spouse's full benefit. Note that a widow or widower of any age with a child under age 16 is entitled to a 75% payout.

Here is a website with the publication - to find out more -

Best Wishes.

I hope I was able to help you. If this answered your question please take a few moments to rate my response. It will be at the top of the page - ranging from 1 to 5 stars. If you need any clarification of my response or have any further questions, I am here. Thank you. Have a wonderful afternoon.