emc011075
emc011075, Tax Adviser
Experience:  Tax adviser IRS licensed Enrolled Agent and tax instructor
62958156

I turned 65 in March. Can I apply for spousal benefits now

Customer Question

I turned 65 in March. Can I apply for spousal benefits now and collect less than 50% of my husband's SS and then transfer to my own SS benefit at age 70 which will be higher than the spousal amount?
Category: Social Security
Expert:  emc011075 replied 3 months ago.

Hi. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to help you.

Before your full retirement age you do not have a choice. You will automatically receive the highest benefits available to you, your own or spousal benefits. Since you were 62+ at the end of 2015 at full retirement age you will still have an option to file a restricted application or "deemed filing". You will restrict your benefits to lower spousal benefits and let your own grow until 70. At 70 you can switch back to your own benefits.

Social security already removed most of the information about the restricted application from its website because of the recent changes. Here's one site that still offer some information: https://www.ssa.gov/planners/retire/claiming.html

I see you read my respond. Do you have any questions? Is there anything else I can help you with today?

I see you offline now. So if this answered your question, please take a moment to rate my response so that I may receive credit for assisting you today. You find the rating bar on the top of the page – 5 stars. However, if you need clarification, or want to discuss this issue further, let me know. Thank you.