Stephanie O Joy, Esq
Stephanie O Joy, Esq, Soc. Sec. Attorney
Experience:  19+ years legal exp. - 10+ years owning/operating her own SSD Law practice.
10805288

I'm retired an am receiving my maximum social security

Customer Question

I'm retired an am receiving my maximum social security benefits, and my wife, 60 years old, is receiving disability benefits. At her age can she receive spousal support, due to her disability, and if yes what percentage of my benefit can she receive.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Rick Martin replied 5 months ago.

Hi, I'm happy to help. I kindly ask that you give me a good rating if you are happy with my service. Please feel free to ask follow up questions. I will respond to your question in a moment. -Rick

The short answer to your question is no. Your spouse needs to be at least 62 for spousal benefits. I will provide you with more details in a moment.

The only exception to the 62 age requirement is if your spouse if caring for a child who is entitled to receive benefits on your record who is younger than age 16 or disabled.

Here is a link with more details and an example.

https://faq.ssa.gov/link/portal/34011/34019/Article/3754/What-is-the-eligibility-for-Social-Security-spouse-s-benefits-and-my-own-retirement-benefits

Thank you for this opportunity to serve you. I kindly ask that you give me a good rating if you are happy with my service. My 5 star rating is very important to me. Please feel free to ask follow up questions. -Rick

Expert:  Stephanie O Joy, Esq replied 5 months ago.

Good morning, I see your expert has opted out. I also see you have not completed the process to provide him or her credit for assisting you. Is there an additional question that you had but may have forgotten to mention that I can help you with?