Barbara
Barbara, Enrolled Agent
Experience:  18+ years of experience in tax preparation; 25+ years of experience as a real estate/corporate paralegal.
71603090

I worked as a part-time consultant and drew my ss last year.

Customer Question

I worked as a part-time consultant and drew my ss last year. Since then, I have had a stroke and am unable to work. Am I eligible to receive any disability or a compassionate grant?
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Rick Martin replied 3 months ago.

Hi, I'm happy to help. Please give me a good rating after I answer your question if you are happy with my service. I'm working on your questions now.

Please let me answer your second question first. For your question about a compassionate grant, to be clear, it is not a grant, it is a way to accelerate your disability payment because you obviously meet the rules for being disabled. Stroke is listed as one of the disabilities that may be eligible for acceleration. Here is a link to find out more and below the link is some information.

https://www.ssa.gov/compassionateallowances/

Social Security has held seven Compassionate Allowances public outreachhearings. The hearings were on rare diseases, cancers, traumatic brain injury(TBI) and stroke, early-onset Alzheimer's disease andrelated dementias, schizophrenia, cardiovascular disease and multiple organtransplants and autoimmune diseases.

The Compassionate Allowances (CAL) initiative is a way to expedite theprocessing of SSDI and SSI disability claims for applicants whose medicalconditions are so severe that their conditions obviously meet Social Security'sdefinition of disability. It is not a separate program from SSA's twodisability programs, SSDI and SSI.

On your first question, yes, you are probably eligible. But the SSA and a doctor will need to make the final determination. Here is a link that may be helpful.

http://www.ncstroke.org/news/stroke-ssd-benefits.php

There is one important limitation that needs to be understood. Generally, one cannot take both SS and disability at the same time. The one exception is if you took advantage of early, reduced retirement benefits, which can be done at age 62, and then you are approved for disability benefits. This would result in receiving both retirement and disability benefits for the same time period, but it does not result in double benefits, it combines the two benefits to bring you to your full benefit amount (i.e., as if you had not retired early).

Thank you for this opportunity to serve you. Please remember to give me a good rating if you are happy with my service. -Rick

Expert:  Barbara replied 3 months ago.

Different expert here - my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you.

The answer provided by the first expert who opted out of your question is absolutely correct.

If you have any other questions, please let me know.

Thank you and best regards,

Barb