dylatess, ATTORNEY
Experience:  37 plus years of SSD practice

I have been receiving SS disability benefits since the early

Customer Question

I have been receiving SS disability benefits since the early sometime around 2003. I was in my 50's. After paying for Medicare, I receive $1176 per month.
My ex-husband (of 34 years marriage) is a bit younger than I am...I will be 65 on 12/18/51. He will be 63 on 12/15/53.
When can I file for benefits on his Social Security record? Do I have to wait until he files, and how will I know when that happens.
Or, since I will be 65 in December, can I file on his Social Security at that time? And how is my benefit figured? Thank you for any help you may be able to give.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  emc011075 replied 2 months ago.

Hi. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to help you.

Your ex must apply for his benefits OR he must have reached his full retirement age of 66. The only way to find out is to check with the social security office or ask him.

Social security uses a complex formula to figure out your benefits:

- your age you first applied for any social security benefits (the sooner you applied, the lower your benefits will be)

- how much is your ex eligible for (does he has enough credits, did he applied for his benefits early)

- are 100% of your benefits higher than about 30% of his benefits? (if you applied before 60, you will not qualify for 50% of spousal benefits, more like 25 - 30%)

I see you read my respond. Do you have any questions? Is there anything else I can help you with today?