Lane
Lane, JD,CFP, MBA, CRPS
Experience:  Law Degree, specialization in Tax Law and Corporate Law, CFP and MBA, Providing Financial, Social Security & Tax advice since 1986
1929974

I have a duo citizenship. German-Amerikan, born in

Customer Question

I have a duo citizenship. German-Amerikan, born in Hungary-Europe.
I live in USA, have a US passport
Receive a Social Security in New York State USA
I would like to get also the Hungarian citizenship
as a third citizenship
If I do so, am I stii getting my Social Security?
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Lane replied 3 months ago.

Hi. My name is***** can help you here.

...

Yes, an additional country's recognizing you as a citizen will not impair. threaten, stop your U.S. Social Security benefits.

...

There ARE places where you cannot have social seurity sent: Generally, they will not send U.S. Social Security payments to persons in Azerbaijan, Belarus, Georgia, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Moldova, Tajikistan, Turkmenistan, Ukraine, and Uzbekistan.

...

Hungary, by the way IS one of the places where SSA will send benefits (as long as your benefits are based on your own work record).

Expert:  Lane replied 3 months ago.

Finally, it would only be IF you are actually RESIDING in Hungary, and ONLY if you are getting spousal or survivor benefits, (as opposed to benefits on your own work record) that you’ll have to show that you lived in the United States for at least five years.

...

If you continue to live in the US, however, none of things ar an issue. Additional Citizenshuip with Hungary wll nt affect your benefit

...

Please let me know if you have any questions at all.

...

If this HAS helped, and you DON’T have other questions … I'd appreciate a positive rating (using the stars or faces on your screen, and then clicking “submit")

Otherwise I’m working for no crediting at all here

...

Thank you!

Lane

I hold a law degree, (Juris Doctorate), with concentration in Tax Law, Estate law & Corporate law, an MBA, with specialization in financial accounting & tax, a BBA, and CFP & CRPS designations, as well - I’ve been providing financial, Social Security/Medicare, estate, corporate, non-profit, and tax advice, since 1986.

Expert:  Lane replied 3 months ago.

P.S.

...

I meant to link this for you: (has only to do with receiving benefits out of the country, in the event that this applies)

...

https://www.ssa.gov/pubs/EN-05-10137.pdf

Expert:  Lane replied 3 months ago.

...

I’m just checking back in to see how things are going.

...

Did my answer help?

...

But again, let me know if you need more here.

...

Lane