LawTalk, Attorney
Experience:  I have 30 years of legal and litigation experience, including representing clients before the U.S. Social Security Administration.

My wife has medicare and collects social security. We have

Customer Question

My wife has medicare and collects social security. We have been married for about 5 years and I have never contributed to the plan. Can I buy into the medicare health program. I am 72 yrs old.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  LawTalk replied 2 months ago.

Good morning,

I'm Doug, and I'm sorry to hear of the confusion. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

Because you have been married to your spouse for at least 1 year, so long as you are a US citizen, or a legal resident who has been married for at least 5 years to your spouse while all the time residing with her in the US, you qualify for Medicare under her work record and so all you need to do is apply for Medicare and it will be provided to you. Likewise, even though you never paid into the social security system, you also qualify for a spouse retirement benefit based on her work record.

You don't need to buy into Medicare. You can apply for it based on your wife's work record.

You may reply back to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.

I hope that I have been able to fully answer your question. As I am not an employee of JustAnswer, please be so kind as to rate my service to you. That is the only way I am compensated for assisting you. Thank you in advance.

I wish you and yours the best in 2016,

Expert:  LawTalk replied 2 months ago.

This seems like a very crucial matter for you, and your questions and issues suggest that an in-depth conversation might best suit your needs. If you are interested, for a very nominal charge I can offer you a private phone conference as opposed to continuing in this question and answer thread which is searchable and viewable by the public.

Please know that I answered your question in good faith, providing you with the information that you asked for, and I did that with the expectation that you would act likewise and rate my service to you. If I have already provided you with the information you asked for and you have no additional questions, would you please now rate my service to you so I can be compensated for assisting you?

Thanks in advance,