TaxRobin
TaxRobin, Tax Preparer
Experience:  15+ years in tax preparation and instruction
14155347

I am a chaplain and have been receiving an housing

Customer Question

I am a chaplain and have been receiving an housing allowance, I found out that the retirement community I work for is not taking out social security. I am an ordained minister and opted years ago to remain in the social security program. My first church paid my social security so now I am not sure what to do. When my taxes were done by an AARP CPA he did not know what to do? How can I resolve this.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  TaxRobin replied 3 months ago.

Hello

Besides employment by churches, and synagogues, clergy employed by other types of organizations may be eligible to receive a tax qualified housing allowance also.

In Boyd v. Commissioner, 42 T.C.M. 1136 (1981), a chaplain employed by a police department received a housing allowance designated by a federation of churches that organized the chaplaincy program. This was because the organization was recognized.

There have been private letter rulings which determined that hospitals, retirement homes, and other types of entities may be qualified organizations for purposes of designating a housing allowance. Private letter rulings cannot be used by any one except the person that requested them to argue a position but they do help.

The housing allowance is not taxable for income tax but it is for Self Employment (which is SS and medicare) so the CPA should have completed the SE tax form for for you.

If they did not, have them amend your filing.

Expert:  TaxRobin replied 3 months ago.

Hello Joel,

I am checking back to see if you contacted the CPA about that filing.