emc011075
emc011075, Tax Adviser
Experience:  Tax adviser IRS licensed Enrolled Agent and tax instructor
62958156

I am 63 years old and max out my Social Security earnings

Customer Question

I am 63 years old and max out my Social Security earnings yearly. I plan to work until I am 70. My wife turns 62 this September and is no longer working. Is it fine for her to go ahead and take her individual benefit at this time?
Category: Social Security
Expert:  emc011075 replied 3 months ago.

Hi Phillip. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to help you.

Her taking her own benefits will not affect your benefits in any way. If she takes her benefits before her full retirement age, she will permanently reduce all benefits available to her now or in the future, including spousal and survivor benefits.

The percentage will depends on her age/her full retirement age and when she actually take the benefits. If she is in relatively good health, it is always advisable to wait at least until her full retirement age.

Here's spousal benefits calculator: https://www.ssa.gov/OACT/quickcalc/spouse.html#calculator

I see you read my respond. Do you have any questions? Is there anything else I can help you with today?

I see you offline now. So if this answered your question, please take a moment to rate my response so that I may receive credit for assisting you today. You find the rating bar on the top of the page – 5 stars. However, if you need clarification, or want to discuss this issue further, let me know. Thank you.