How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask TaxRobin Your Own Question
TaxRobin, Tax Preparer
Category: Social Security
Satisfied Customers: 13158
Experience:  15+ years in tax preparation and instruction
Type Your Social Security Question Here...
TaxRobin is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I emailed a few minutes earlier, but lost my connection. I

Customer Question

I emailed a few minutes earlier, but lost my connection.
I am happy to pay the $39 fee for the following 2 questions:
1. I will turn 70 next year to enable me to take the 32 percent benefit increase.
Is there anything specific I should do to enable me to apply fo the full benefit?
2. My ex wife and I were married over 10 years.
If she is in agreement, is she required to take 50 per cent of my benefits?
This, in light of my understanding that she would only receive 50 per cent of my benefit
When I turned 66.
Your thoughts.
Submitted: 2 months ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Lane replied 2 months ago.

Hi Craig. My name's Lane. I can help you with this.


On your first question, no. Your benefit is calculated based on age. When you file, the system will see that (1) you have not filed, (so you will receive those delayed retirement credits), and (2) that you are age 70, so will receive the full 8% yer year.


And on the second, your ex- wife does not HAVE to file and receive the divorced spouse benefit, but yes her benefit is 50% of yours, shoule she decide to file for the benefit.


And just to be sure I'm being clear, I've had otherss that didn't understnd this - this doesn't affect your benefit at all. Your benefit "is what it is." She will just be able to get a benefit that is equal to 1/2 of your benefit amount.


Let me know if you have any questions at all





I hold a law degree, (Juris Doctorate), with concentration in Tax Law, Estate law & Corporate law, an MBA, with specialization in financial accounting & tax, a BBA, and CFP & CRPS designations, as well - I’ve been providing financial, Social Security/Medicare, estate, corporate, non-profit, and tax advice, since 1986.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Expert:  TaxRobin replied 2 months ago.


Your question was placed back on the list saying you requested a new expert.

Actually I can only confirm what you were told by the other expert. When you apply for benefits the calculation is done at that time and you do not need to do anything extra to receive your benefit that is higher when you wait.

Your spouse is not required to apply for benefits. The most she can receive is 50% of the calculated amount for you but it does not reduce your benefits.

Related Social Security Questions