dylatess, ATTORNEY
Experience:  37 plus years of SSD practice

I am 67 years old. I am divorced and married for over 10

Customer Question

I am 67 years old. I am divorced and married for over 10 years.
My Retirement benefit has already been claimed. Yet, my retirement benefit is smaller than my ex’s. I understand I can File and Suspend to allow spouse to step up to spousal benefit. Is this correct? Is the deadline to execute my file on time by September 1st, 2016? Apparently FRA (Restricted Application), if I qualify, does not have such deadline, so I could apply After September 1, 2016. Is this correct?
Thank you So much!
Category: Social Security
Expert:  emc011075 replied 2 months ago.

Hi. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to help you.

You cannot file and suspend your benefits any more unless you applied before April 30, 2016. If you want your spouse to collect spousal benefits, you will need to apply for your own. But your spouse will only be eligible for 50% your benefits. It is not step up to your benefits.

The restricted application is still available, but only one of you can spousal benefits at the time.

I see you read my respond. Do you have any questions? Is there anything else I can help you with today?