Stephanie O Joy, Esq
Stephanie O Joy, Esq, Soc. Sec. Attorney
Experience:  19+ years legal exp. - 10+ years owning/operating her own SSD Law practice.
10805288

Is the Social Security monthly amount determined at the time

Customer Question

Is the Social Security monthly amount determined at the time of filing or the time of
receiving the first check?
How much can I earn after filing or receiving my first check before my social security
check is reduced if I am under age 66? and after age 66?
How much will my social security check be reduced if I earn more than the limit?
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Stephanie O Joy, Esq replied 3 months ago.

Hi, my name is***** and I am here to assist you. I am a social security attorney in my private practice – that is ALL I do. Please let me know that my post here is coming through for you by typing a quick reply.

It will be as of the month that your first check APPLIES to - which may be after you apply, or before you apply. You pick (within limits) what month you wish to start receiving SS checks, and that month will determine if you are taking at your FRA, early, or delayed - and the associated increase or decrease to your earned Primary Insurance Amount that determines what you actually get paid.

In your first year of "early retirement", because you may already have earned OVER the annual limit of $15,720 currently, you can start fresh and just make sure that every month after you start your benefits, you don't go over the prorated monthly limit.

"The special rule lets us pay a full Social Security check for any whole month we consider you retired, regardless of your yearly earnings. If you will

• be under full retirement age for all of 2016, you are considered retired in any month that your earnings are $1,310 or less and you did not perform substantial services in self employment."

After your first calendar year, you must use the annual limit applicable to that year.

And the year you turn your FRA (66+), you have yet another even higher limit.

After you are over your FRA, you can earn unlimited and still collect your full check - no earnings limit.

After your "special rule" year which goes by the month, you pay back $1 for every $2 over the applicable limit. In your year of FRA, however, you have a higher limit AND only pay back $1 for every $3 you go over that limit.

I hope this helps! My goal is to provide you with excellent and accurateservice – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions.

Kindly rate me "excellent" when you aredone. I look forward to assisting you in the future, should you have legal questions. Be sure to start future posts with "To ***** Esq., ONLY" if you want me to specifically answer it.

Sincerely, ***** ***** Joy, Esq.

Your online SS legal resource!