LawTalk, Attorney
Experience:  I have 30 years of legal and litigation experience, including representing clients before the U.S. Social Security Administration.
15277592

When you are divorced for 20 years and you never remarried

Customer Question

When you are divorced for 20 years and you never remarried do you collect complete SS from ones X or just part according to the years you were married to the X?
Category: Social Security
Expert:  LawTalk replied 3 months ago.

Good morning Mable,

I'm Doug, and I'm sorry to hear of the confusion. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

After 20 years of marriage, and you are single and at least 62 years old, you can choose to claim either an ex-spouse retirement benefit, or your own retirement benefit---whichever is greater. However, your ex-spouse benefit is not based on the number of years you were married. So long as you were married at least 10 years you are eligible for an ex-spouse benefit.

An ex-spouse claim can never pay more than 50% of the full retirement benefit of the ex-spouse, and so often if you have worked much of your life, your own social security retirement benefit will be greater than what an ex-spouse retirement benefit would ever pay to you.

You may reply back to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.

I hope that I have been able to fully answer your question. As I am not an employee of JustAnswer, please be so kind as to rate my service to you. That is the only way I am compensated for assisting you. Thank you in advance.

I wish you and yours the best in 2016,

Doug

Expert:  josh-cssm replied 3 months ago.
We received your customer service inquiry, however, we are unable to respond to you because we do not have your email address. Please contact customer support at***@******.*** and provide us with your email address and a link to this question page so that we can help you. http://www.justanswer.com/social-security/9utdg-when-divorced-20-years-remarried.html). Thank you, ***** ***** Customer Support Team
Expert:  LawTalk replied 3 months ago.

Hi Mable,

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Doug

Expert:  LawTalk replied 3 months ago.

This seems like a very crucial matter for you, and your questions and issues suggest that an in-depth conversation might best suit your needs. If you are interested, for a very nominal charge I can offer you a private phone conference as opposed to continuing in this question and answer thread which is searchable and viewable by the public.

Please know that I answered your question in good faith, and with the expectation that you would act similarly and rate my service to you. If I have already provided you with the information you asked for and you have no additional questions, would you please now rate my service to you so I can be compensated for assisting you?

Thanks in advance,

Doug