Dr. Fiona Chen
Dr. Fiona Chen, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Experience:  Former IRS Revenue Agent
72280797

I am a US citizen and my DOB is 2/16/52, when will I receive

Customer Question

I am a US citizen and my DOB is 2/16/52, when will I receive my Medicare Card ?
My wife is a resident and her DOB is 5/14/50 and she has not received her Medicare Card, why ?
Do we have to apply somewhere for it ?
After we get Medicare we can then apply for a supplemental insurance, correct ?
Thank you so much.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Dr. Fiona Chen replied 8 months ago.

Dear Customer,

1) The medicare program needs to be applied by the beneficiary. That is, the government does not automatically enroll you. You need to go to a social security administration office or call them to inquire and apply for the medicare benefit. The contact information is attached below. I also attached several website links for your reference.

2) Same thing as your wife, if she has not apply for social security retirement benefit, she needs to apply for spousal benefit and/or benefit payment on her own work credit. At the same time, she needs to apply for medicare program for her benefit.

3) Supplemental health insurance is a private insurance. After you obtain your medicare, you can shop around to inquire which insurance plan suits you.

To apply for the Medicare program, you can apply on line or:

• By phone - Call us at 1-***-***-**** from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. Monday through Friday. If you are deaf or hard of hearing, you can call us at TTY 1-***-***-****.
  • In person - Visit your local Social Security office. (Call first to make an appointment.)

If you do not live in the U.S. or one of its territories you can also contact the nearest U.S. Social Security office, U.S. Embassy or consulate.

https://www.ssa.gov/medicare/#&a0=4

https://www.ssa.gov/planners/retire/justmedicare.html

Regards,

Fiona Chen, MPA, Ph.D., CPA, ABV, CFF, CITP