LawTalk, Attorney
Experience:  I have 30 years of legal and litigation experience, including representing clients before the U.S. Social Security Administration.

Can a widow from Ireland with dual citizenship be qualified

Customer Question

Can a widow from Ireland with dual citizenship be qualified for Medicare.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  LawTalk replied 2 months ago.

Good afternoon Pam,

I'm Doug, and I'm very sorry to hear of your family's situation, as well as for your loss. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

Yes, your sister-in-law qualifies for Medicare based on her marriage to your brother. However, Medicare will only pay medical expenses incurred in the US, and so Medicare will not do her any good if she is out of country. She will also be eligible for a survivor benefit based on her husband's work record. She can collect the spouse survivor benefit while she is out of country.

You may reply back to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.

I hope that I have been able to fully answer your question. As I am not an employee of JustAnswer, please be so kind as to rate my service to you. That is the only way I am compensated for assisting you. Thank you in advance.

I wish you and yours the best in 2016,

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Doug.I did ask in my first question what her co-pay cost would be, if she could apply online and you responded with the fact that she would qualify to apply and would have rights to survivor social security. I see that you have charged my credit card for the full $32. Are you going to charge again for the same questions?
Expert:  LawTalk replied 2 months ago.

Hi Pam,

I am at a loss. What first question are you talking about?