emc011075
emc011075, Tax Adviser
Experience:  Tax adviser IRS licensed Enrolled Agent and tax instructor
62958156

I am going to get married with in the next few weeks. My ex-

Customer Question

I am going to get married with in the next few weeks. My ex- wife applied under my SS for her benefits.
Will my new wife be able to also receive SS under my Social Security benefits ?
Also my new to be wife is not a US citizen yet but will have a Green Card when she applies for SS. Will this effect her eligibility for applying under my SS for benefits for her? She is Chinese and we have know each other for over two years. she is in the US right now and we are planning on getting married within the next few weeks.
Also Im 66 years old and she is 58 years old
Thank you
Thank you
Category: Social Security
Expert:  emc011075 replied 3 months ago.

Hi. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to help you.

Yes, your new wife will be able to apply for spousal benefits as soon as is 62 (early benefits). If she applies early at 62, she will get about 35% of your benefits. It takes about a year to get a green card and after 3 years, if still married to you she can apply for citizenship. So, by the time she is eligible she may be US citizen.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Thank you for you help

You're welcome. Is there anything else I can help you with today?

And if this answered your question, please take a moment to rate my response so that I may receive credit for assisting you today. You find the rating bar on the top of the page – 5 stars. However, if you need clarification, or want to discuss this issue further, let me know. Thank you.