dylatess, ATTORNEY
Experience:  37 plus years of SSD practice

After 30+ years of marriage, my wife and I decided to go our

Customer Question

After 30+ years of marriage, my wife and I decided to go our separate ways. She thinks the SS she is receiving is based on my work whereas I think it is based on the years she worked. She is concerned she might be receiving less after the divorce... How would I best find out?
Category: Social Security
Expert:  emc011075 replied 2 months ago.

Hi. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to help you.

To find out which benefits she is receiving, she needs to contact SS directly or log in into her online SS account (or create one, if she doesn't have one).

Even after divorce she may still be eligible for benefits based on your records if you marriage lasted more than 10 years. She will not automatically be switched to her own.

I see you read my respond. Do you have any questions? Is there anything else I can help you with today?