How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask LawTalk Your Own Question
LawTalk, Attorney
Category: Social Security
Satisfied Customers: 36348
Experience:  I have 30 years of legal and litigation experience, including representing clients before the U.S. Social Security Administration.
Type Your Social Security Question Here...
LawTalk is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My boyfriend was told his truck valued at 5800.00 which

Customer Question

My boyfriend was told his truck valued at 5800.00 which exceeded his assets limits when recieving his social security back pay and that this may disqualify him to receive benefits, he has already had a hearing and been approved as being disabled. He gave me the title to his truck to hold in leiu of repayment of the money he owes me., which was used for cost of living, housing, food etc. how should we handle this?
Submitted: 7 months ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  LawTalk replied 7 months ago.

Good morning,

I'm Doug, and I'm very sorry to hear of your situation. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

You will need to make an itemized billing of all the things that you provided for him that the two of you agreed would be a loan and that amount will need to come close to the value of the truck. Then you will need to prepare a bill of sale for the truck and arrange to have the title transferred into your name, alone. Once he is no longer on the title to the truck and has proof of the repayment of the loan---the itemized bill of debts and the bill of sale for the truck----that will show that he no longer owns the asset (truck).

You may reply back to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.

I hope that I have been able to fully answer your question. As I am not an employee of JustAnswer, please be so kind as to rate my service to you. That is the only way I am compensated for assisting you. Thank you in advance.

I wish you and yours the best in 2016,


Expert:  LawTalk replied 7 months ago.

This seems like a very crucial matter for you, and your questions and issues suggest that an in-depth conversation might best suit your needs. If you are interested, for a very nominal charge I can offer you a private phone conference as opposed to continuing in this question and answer thread which is searchable and viewable by the public.

Please know that I answered your question in good faith, and with the expectation that you would act similarly and rate my service to you. If I have already provided you with the information you asked for and you have no additional questions, would you please now rate my service to you so I can be compensated for assisting you?

Thanks in advance,