TaxRobin, Tax Preparer
Experience:  15+ years in tax preparation and instruction

I have several questions mostly due to death situations. 1.

Customer Question

I have several questions mostly due to death situations.
1. If person dies, what social security is his or what has to be returned. In other words, If I die in middle of a month after just receiving check, does my spouse need to return it or is it for a future or current month?
2. If spouse remarrys after her first husband died, does that effect her social security that she is now receiving due to death of first husband.
3. Unrelated to death, what is maximum that person can earn if she is on disability?
Category: Social Security
Expert:  TaxRobin replied 2 months ago.

Hello, I'm Robin. Welcome to JustAnswer.

1.SSA advises : We can’t pay benefits for the month of death. That means if the person died in July, the check received in August (which is payment for July) must be returned. If the payment is by direct deposit, notify the financial institution as soon as possible so it can return any payments received after death.

The payment received in July was for June so it would not need to be returned.

2. If you remarry after you reach age 60 (age 50 if disabled), your remarriage will not affect your eligibility for survivors benefits.

3. During a trial work period, there are no limits on your earnings. During the 36-month extended period of eligibility, you usually can make no more than $1,130 a month or your benefits will stop

Please remember that you are required to rate in a positive way (look for the STARS or SMILEY FACES) so I am credited with responding.